Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dear old self

I spent the day with two of my favorite people in the world. Dinner and dessert more than made up for my unusually crappy day.

The day started early. It seems that the first order of the day for some is to greet me, and I am really grateful waking up to “happy birthdays” and “I love yous.” I went to the office, which is quite unusual, because I was supposed to be on special leave because it is my day, but I had to go to work.

Before lunch, I called up the Customer Service of Metrobank Card to inquire about my outstanding balance, and I was shocked to hear that my debt has almost reached my credit limit. (I was thinking, have I eaten that much?) I have not charged any big ticket items lately so I asked the Customer Service Representative to recite my recent transactions. And boy, oh boy, there were two transactions with Cebu Air amounting to PhP 10,492.22 each. These were not mine, so I had to ask that my card be blocked and I wrote to their Chargeback unit to dispute the charge. So instead of catching up on work backlog and/or responding to birthday greetings, I was stressed by this. Not exactly the kind of gift I was hoping for.

The three of us were playing “level-up” to match the wealthy friend’s treat at Melo’s and I was choosing between Le Souffle and Cav for dinner before this Cebu Air fiasco. But because my credit card was blocked, we had to settle for something cheaper.

We are fans of Abe in Trinoma, so we chose to try Fely J’s Kitchen which belongs to the LJC Restaurant Group. The menu is a bit different from that of Abe. For appetizer, we ordered sisig because E wanted to know whether it tastes like its counterpart in Abe. Their sisig is served on a small hot plate, unlike Abe’s which is served on an ordinary plate. Fely J’s version is competent.

Next came the Kangkong Sa Gata which is reminiscent of Abe’s gising-gising. We requested that it be cooked gising-gising style which made it spicier. As expected, it tastes like gising-gising, with the addition of kangkong leaves. (It is actually funny that we are looking for food that are in Abe's menu. The waitress had to explain how different some courses are from Abe's.)

Their Lamb Kaldereta is a must-try, the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender and the sauce is rich. If I were to choose only one viand, I would choose this.

After settling the bill, we were asked to fill-out a comment sheet and I wrote: It is my birthday! Free dessert? :D Then the waitress asked us to stay for a bit longer, then this surprise was given as a gift. I love freebies and gifts! This milky, creamy version of maja blanca is delicious too!

And for want of ideas as to where to go for dessert, we headed to Museum Café again. This time, we tried their Pandan Sans Rival and Pastillas Cheesecake. Their cheesecake has actual pastillas on top. According to G, their cheesecake tastes like puto; I think they tasted alright.

And tonight's winner is the Pandan Sans Rival. This one looks deceptively simple. But once the pandan icing touches the tip of your tongue, you will be tempted to say, "Uy, okay ah." I think Museum Cafe is winning me over with its unique dessert selection (I wonder if Chef Sau del Rosario is still king in its kitchen). And considering I liked the food at its relatives Momo and Chelsea, I might have to give its main courses another try.

Happy birthday dear old self.###

No comments:

Post a Comment